Sunday, September 10, 2017

721 miles No Pain, No Gain (Bicycle Ride)

This photo was early on, must be due to me looking so darn good. I had this crazy idea while on our S. America ride that perhaps Graham would like to ride bicycles to B.C. I didn't think that one through, but it sure sounded great in my mind. Wouldn't you know it, he agreed to go.
It isn't always pretty, but after a day in the saddle you just gotta stretch it all out. Graham taking his afternoon nap.
We came upon this chair/table set along a creek, and made ourselves at home. Awesome. Due to the heat, we tried to be in camp by noon, or 2 at the latest. The later, the more pain we suffered.
Lake Koocanusa. We rode along the East side of this lake/ Kootenai River to the border of Canada.
This delicious meal would later come back to kick my a___. Looks great doesn't it?
I won't let you view the photo Graham snapped while I was in a compromising position. Not pretty.
En route to Waterton, from Pincher Creek. Graham calls it the clown bike, I call it bike in a box ( how it arrived in Bend), but it's really called Bike Friday. It was a lion. No issues other than one front flat and seat height.
This ride would also enlighten me whether Stacie and I ride Europe in 2018, on bicycles. That plan is now in motion and data is being accumulated.
The replicated Prince Of Whales in Waterton. All the times I have seen this and still think " That is one big A__ Hotel."
A river or stream in the Red Canyon area of Waterton.
The label sold me on this IPA. An elderly man in the bar asked me " What does IPA stand for"?
My reply "I piss a lot".
Below: Lake McDonald in Glacier, the fire enhances this landscape for a nice photo.

Franks Slide,, 1903 or so it wiped out a whole town.
Below: Duck Lake, Mt. back in the U.S.A.
We purchased bear spray due to the fact that we would be camping mostly and WE WERE ON BICYCLES. Never wanted to buy it when on motorcycle.
The largest , biggest truck on earth in Sparwood, B.C. The cycles and myself look minuscule next to it.
Don't ask. That clown bike looks so large next to that small tire. Notice my left knee sock. The first 7 days of this adventure, both knees were in severe pain. I knew from prior experience, this is due to seat height. I was popping 8 Ibuprofen a day in order to keep a pedaling. Thankfully after raising the seat a total of 2 inches my pain subsided. Let's Ride!
Jump.
We had bad anticipations of Crowsnest Pass kicking our butts, but it didn't, and there were others that really hurt us bad. Thompson Pass, to just name one of the many hills and passes we would cross.
We rode 12 miles uphill to make the summit of Logan Pass. It was a steady pedal at 4 m.p.h. and 2.5 hours to reach the top. Again, our thoughts were proved wrong on this endeavor.

Looks like Kansas, that, from my saddle point of view is deceiving.
In Libby, Mt. we had 2 days off to relax ( me relax ha ha ). I tried to land the big one..
Below: we camped behind a Mini Mart/ RV park. The wind was howling and temps. dropped to about 47 degrees.
Mister HYDRO to you. I debated in taking a Hydro but opted no to, due to weight. Thankfully Graham choose to take his. It supplied us with ice cold water and ice for our whiskey . Thanks Graham.
Typically we were up at 5 or 6, and on the road within an hour. The mornings were cool, no traffic to speak of, and less wind.
I watched Graham photo his steed often, as I have Darth. It proves " I've been somewhere"
Pincher Creek, Alberta, we were beat, having ridden 60 miles in the valleys with no opportunity for shade. When we spotted the Super 8, we both exclaimed OH YEA! The pizza was over the top good.
Stacie, at the beginning of this adventure, dropped us off at Cavendish, Id. Thank you Stacie, we rode 34 miles the first day, and due to the heat, were exhausted by the time we made Little Boulder C.G. There was a hand pump in the C.G., it took us about 3-4 hours using that pump to bring our body temps down.

As on a motorcycle you end up with a lot of STUFF to load and unload on a daily basis.

Graham is the one responsible for most of the photo's and video on this ride. Thank you Mister Perkins.
Graham gets his first ever moose sighting.
Yea baby we made it into B.C.
It was at times doubtful due to me having severe knee pains. 
Now that was funny.
Glacier Park is definitely worth a trip and should be on everyone's bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment