Sunday, August 5, 2012

John Day and Giant Loop Ride 2012

At Giant Loop in Bend we all met for a great breakfast and began our conversations . You know to sum each other up and their abilities.LOL

When you ride in groups of more than 3 there is a fantastic chance you'll have to wait for some riders to catch up. I'll admit , I don't ride in groups very often and when I do it does try my patience. Oh yes I'm a Very very patient man......

We did have to deal with mother nature a few times on this event but as I always say it's part of the journey and who wants it to be boring/ Not me.

It seems some people have too much time on their hands or perhaps too may bullet's . You never see an arrow sticking in a sign , Why not?

It was at this point I'd say half way to Xmas Valley that we were wondering do we go right or left? Harold ( Giant Loop ) went left and we were also waiting for people to catch up or find us.

Green Mtn. Look out. Some awesome views from here and as we looked about the ground had nails EVERYWHERE . I left as soon as I noticed them.

One of the views and all 360 degrees were fantastic.

Darth taking a rest before I noticed the nails , the tires were inflated and I wanted to keep it that way.

We were supposed to be in Christmas Valley around noon! wrong, try about 4 pm. Everyone was on the hungry side and ate what they could find in the store.

Summer Lake was our destination and we made it about 6 , set up camp and hit the Hot Springs to relax. Was a great relief. This was my view at camp.

And the sign says long haired freaky people need not apply or enter . Not really but it had some history and looked the part as well.

Darth be looking good after a long day of riding the trails. Me I was tired , seems to take a lot out of you when you stop/start numerous times of the day .

The building that has the indoor H.S., there are two other's located outside as well.

Sunset at Summer Lake, a great end of the day view from camp.

The neighbor had a fire and me the awesome photographer that I am saw or felt that this would be a GREAT photo. Was I right or am I just full of it?

Ran into a cattle round up on the way back. I'm sure the cowboy;s didn't appreciate Mike and me scattering their cattle .I was watching one cow and he had this look of uncertainity that he would dash across the road in front of me . AND HE DID that very thing.

The was the John Day rally ride, second week of June. This happens to be the BIG town of Paulina. Matt with the husky needed some petro and they had zero. he inquired within and they sold him a gallon from their gas can.

We had just ridden through some great D.S. roads , it was Bear Creek Rd. I believe . anyway Richard the man on the ground and his GS were having issues . The bike failed to start after our rest. Prior to this we had ridden through some deep mud holes and rough terrain . Hey Matt what you doing back in the shade/ yes at this time of the day it was Hot.

After an hour or so I said" I think its time we thought about towing that beast. Now I didn't consult with Darth about this and even I wasn't overly enthuised about it . In any case we only had one choice so lets get on with it. I towed Richard,his gear,and that Big heavy bike probably 20 miles offroad and 5 on asphalt. On my mind was " I hope the clutch doesn't burn up or the motor. We ( darth and me) had never towed a bike before. We made it and when we stopped S. of John Day to let Richard coast into J.D his bike fired up . Go Figure.

Matt and I rode some great rides while in J.D.  This was a view and I can't remember the road we were traveling but as you can see we had gained some elevation prior to this photo.

Matt had a few electrical issues with his Husky but it never stranded us .

Your's truely and his trusty steed. It was beginning to get warm.

Indian Rock Look Out was one of our destinations on this ride. A fun ride it was with a lot of gravel thrown in .

At this elevation there was still some snow that had yet to melt. The view was spectacular to say the least.

Inside the look out was some pretty good amenities. Check out the reflection of the valley on the window.

Another view from I.R. look out . Have to thank Matt for his guide skills on this ride . I just followed where he led me and Darth.

Geological marker at Indian Rock

Olive lake

Fremont Powerhouse



We found this sign to be amusing , look pretty GREEN to me .

How would you like to have this as a representation of the Fire deparments ability to save your homestead? Hey my house is on fire , well tha's all the water we have >>>>> Got any marshmellows?

We rode into Granite , Matt was low on fuel .

Camp at John Day


The volunteers getting ready to serve dinner for the attendees . Check out the Oregon Dual Sport Rental And Adventures Poster.

This is fantastic , the local school children draw place matts for the tables.

Everyone ejoying their dinner and making new aquaintance's.
The view from South of Summer lake on a pull out that Mike and I came across on our return to Bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment